Big time college football action.
The Houston Cougars (AAC) are slated to face off against the Pittsburgh Panthers (At-Large) in the 2014 Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl. This will be the first time a member of the AAC has participated in the game. New AAC football members, Cincinnati (2004), Houston (2005, 2008, 2009), SMU (2010) and Tulsa (2006, 2011) have all previously participated in the Armed Forces Bowl as members of other conferences..
In 2013 the Armed Forces Bowl became the first game to have hosted all three service academies. These include four appearances by the United States Air Force Academy (2007 vs. Cal, 2008 and 2009 vs. Houston and 2012 vs. Rice), the United States Military Academy (2010 vs. SMU) and the United States Naval Academy (2013 vs. Middle Tennessee).
The Future of The Matchup
Below are the slated Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl match ups for the next five seasons.
- 2014 Season - American Athletic Conference vs. Big 12 Conference (if eligible team available)
- 2015 Season - Big Ten Conference vs. Mountain West Conference
- 2016 Season - Navy vs. Big 12 Conference
- 2017 Season - Army vs. Big Ten Conference
- 2018 Season - American Athletic Conference vs. Big 12 Conference
- 2019 Season - Mountain West Conference vs. Big Ten Conference